Pages

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Bow Tutorial

bow tutorial
Remember the post I did on my pussy willow wreath, and I told you I would do a tutorial on how to make the cute teal bow in it? Well, today is that day! I am going to show you how to make a classic florist bow. There are a lot of variations on how to make this bow, but I'm just going to show you how I make mine



bow tutorial

First off, you will need the following materials: Ribbon, scissors, wire, and wire cutters

bow tutorial 

For this tutorial, I am using a single faced satin ribbon. It is the most common type of ribbon found at your local craft store. Mine is 7/8. You can use any size ribbon though. Let's get on to making it!

How to Make a Bow

1. Hold the ribbon between your thumb and fingers (I'm right handed and I do so in my left hand). Have the shiny satin side touching your fingers and the dull side facing up.
2. Make a loop around your thumb. The looser you make it, the bigger your loop.
3. Twist the ribbon under your thumb. (if you are using a double sided satin or a sheer ribbon, you can skip this step)
4. To get the shiny satin side facing up.

how to make a bow

5. Make your first loop. The wider the ribbon you have, the longer you want to make your loop. Just make sure it looks proportionate.
6. Twist the ribbon behind your thumb again to get the shiny side facing up.
7. Make your second loop.

how to make a bow

8. Repeat as many times as you would like. This particular bow is a 5 loop, meaning there are 5 loops on each side of the bow.
9. Stick your wire through the middle thumb loop and twist around all of the ribbon.









Fluff out your bow by adjusting the loops to how you want them, and you're done with your 5 loop bow!

how to make a bow

This is what a 3 loop bow looks like.

bow tutorial

For those of you that learn better by seeing it in action, I created a video tutorial! Can't wait to see all of your beautiful bows on projects!









1 comment:

Shauna said...

SWEET! Hope you have an amazing day! :) Shauna from http://www.trying2staycalm.com/